When we renovate a bath, we are not only aiming for a better look, but also for striving to maximize its functionalities. In case you would like to age in at your home, there are some functions we should take into account and accessible seat is one of them. Here are some standards to spec accessible seats.
Access to seating in the shower is critical for many people with limited mobility and can make the showering experience much more comfortable and stress-free. The 2010 Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Standards for Accessible Design details the requirements that designers must meet in order to make bathtub and shower seats ADA-compliant in Standard 610. These standards include:
- Bathtub Seats. The top of bathtub seats must be 17” to 19” above the finished floor. The depth of removable in-tub seats should be 15” to 16”, and the seat should be capable of secure placement. Permanent seats at head end of bathtub should be 15” deep minimum and should extend from the back wall to beyond outer edge of the bathtub.
- Shower Compartment Seats. Seats should be folding-type, installed on the side wall adjacent to the controls, and should extend from back wall to a point 3” from the shower entry. For transfer type showers, make sure the top of the seat is 17” to 19” above the finished floor.
- Rectangular Seats. Make sure the rear edge of a rectangular seat is placed 2 ½” maximum and the front edge 15” minimum and 16” maximum from the seat wall. The side edge of the seat should be 1 ½” maximum from the adjacent wall.
- L-Shaped Seats. The rear edge of an L-shaped seat should be 2 ½“ maximum and the front edge 15” minimum and 16” maximum from the seat wall. The rear edge of the “L” portion of the seat should be 1 ½” maximum from the wall and the front edge should be 14” minimum and 15” maximum from the wall. The end of the “l” needs to be 22” minimum and 43” maximum from the main seat wall.
- Strength. The seat should be able to hold at least 250 lbs. at any point, including on the fastener, mounting device, and supporting structure.
Shop The Chic Bath Vanities We Handpicked For Your Bath Project( Click Each Image For Details):