A microwave drawer is a microwave that is installed as a drawer rather than placed on the countertop or mounted under a cabinet. It is designed to fit perfectly under a counter, placed into a lower cabinet or kitchen island. This allows for cleaner counter-space, improved functionality, and a more modern overall ascetic. These drawer-style microwaves typically have more available features than a countertop or over-the-range microwave oven and add a modern sleek statement to your kitchen.
Now, all kitchen cabinet manufacturers offer standard cabinetry for the age-friendly and highly accessible microwave drawer. Safe for kids to prepare after-school snacks and for seniors to heat meals, positioned waist-high with easy-to-read controls and soft-open and close functionality, the convenience and safety of heating, reheating, and cooking in a microwave drawer can’t be beat. Here are 5 benefits of a microwave drawer.
1. Free up counter space.
A microwave drawer allows you to utilize your space more – this is especially great for smaller kitchens. You can free up your countertop space to make your kitchen look cleaner and more open. A microwave drawer is also very easy to incorporate into a kitchen island.
Microwave drawers have the benefit of customization. It can be placed anywhere in your under cabinet space that allows for the needed cutout dimensions. For homeowners planning a new build or remodel, this is a great opportunity to take advantage of.
You can access a microwave drawer from above to stir dishes, add ingredients, and make adjustments without removing the dish from the microwave. A microwave drawer is an ADA solution because they are lower and easier to reach into, especially with heavy dishes.Taking hot and heavy plates out of a microwave that is up high is an accident waiting to happen, but as a microwave drawer is lower, you will be able to see better and have more control. Instead of having to reach up and place your food in the microwave, the microwave drawer adds convenience by allowing you to simply place your pasta leftovers in the drawer without the worry of spilling. The lower placement makes the drawer easily accessible for children and those that are shorter.
4. Child proof
Microwave drawers have a child lock, so even though they are on the height level of your child they will not be able to tamper with it. Also worried about children microwaving things they shouldn’t? Most microwave drawer models have a lock feature to make sure your family and home are protected.
5. Modern Upgrade
Microwave drawers have a seamless installation with the kitchen’s drawers, provides a high-end and custom look to your kitchen allowing for a beautiful sleek upgrade. There is also no turntable to fuss with, resulting in extra room and a streamlined design.
Here are several cons about a microwave drawer.
- More expensive than most other microwaves
- Can require a professional electrician to add proper wiring
- Can sometimes require professional installation unless you are particularly handy
Special features to consider when choose a microwave drawer:
- Auto defrost
- Push-button opening
- Sensor cooking technology
- WiFi connectivity
- Convection oven cooking
- Kid-proof safety settings
- Shortcut keys for favorite dishes
See our picks for the microwave drawers for 2021.
Your purchase includes One Sharp 24 in. 1.2 cu. ft. 950W Stainless Steel Microwave Drawer, SMD2470ASY model. Flush mount kit sold separately Microwave dimensions: 23 7/8″ x 15 7/8″ x 23 1/64″. Cut/out dimensions: 22 1/8″ x 15 9/16″ x 23 1/2″. Product Weight: 74 lbs. Capacity: 1.2 Cu. Ft. (holds 9″ x 13″ dish) Easy Touch Automatic Drawer System Smoothly Opens and Enables Hands-Free Close Convenient Kitchen Placement Allows for Easier Cooking, Saves Prep and Clean up Time Concealed Control Panel Opens to an Easy-to-Read and Operate 45° Angle
- ROOM TO SPARE: 1.2 cubic feet interior offers plenty of cooking space, with room enough for a 4-quart casserole dish or a 20-oz. beverage from your favorite coffee shop
- SMART DESIGN: AutoTouch key opens and closes the door automatically when your hands are full
- SENSOR COOK TECHNOLOGY: 11 sensor programs virtually eliminate guesswork from cooking and defrost times
- WATTAGE: 950 Watts
- DIMENSIONS(WxHxD): 23.88″ x 15.88″ x 26.19″
Luxury is made attainable with the ZLINE Professional Microwave Drawer. Seamlessly integrate this cooking essential to perfectly fit into your kitchen design with installation flexibility. The under-counter built-in installation provides a clutter-free countertop and a sleek, modern look. Enjoy an easily-accessible LCD button display and an effortless open and close operation. This top loading microwave drawer provides unmatched convenience and space-saving qualities to enhance your kitchen experience. Make every meal a masterpiece with superb professional cooking with 11 power levels, multiple defrost settings, and 1,000 watt cooking power. The Microwave Drawer ships next business day when in stock.
- Mounting Bracket
- Open the drawer with a touch of a button – easy to use open and close buttons for added convenience
- Space-saving microwave designed to be seamlessly installed built-in under a counter or in a wall
- Choose from 11 power levels for the perfect power option for your cooking needs
- Features 1,000 watt cooking power for fast cooking
- Boil water as quickly as 1 minute and 50 seconds with standard microwave settings
- Easy to use glass touch controls and LED display
- Easily melt or soften butter, chocolate, ice cream, cheese, or marshmallows with pre-programmed settings
- Enjoy multiple microwave modes such as defrost, popcorn, and beverage heating
- With 1.2 cu ft capacity, the interior accommodates coffee mugs up to 7 inches tall and dishes up to 16 x 16 inches
- 2 year parts warranty
- Defrosting rack included
- ETL Listed and ADA Compliant
- Wattage: 1000 Watt
- Convection Cooking: No
- Capacity: 1.2 cubic feet
- Sensor Cooking: No
- Turntable Included: No
- Timer: Yes
Auto Cook Feature
- Auto Cook Task Buttons: Hot Beverage; Melt; Soften
- Concealed, Touch Glass Controls with dampened drop-down panel opens at an easy-to-read and operate 45° angle.
- Built-In Airflow Control For cabinet flush mounting.
- Modern Edge-to-Edge Black Glass Design
- 24” width; 1.2 cu ft. cavity, 950 watts, 120 Volts, 15 Amps, 60 Hz. Frequency
- 11 Power Level, Control Lock and Demo Mode
- Your purchase includes One Sharp 30 in. 1.2 cu. ft. 950W Stainless Steel Microwave Drawer, SMD3070ASY model. Flush mount kit sold separately
- Microwave dimensions: 30″ x 15 7/8″ x 23 1/64″. Cut/out dimensions: 28 7/16″ x 15 9/16″ x 23 1/2″. Product Weight: 74 lbs. Capacity: 1.2 Cu. Ft. (holds 9″ x 13″ dish)
- Easy Touch Automatic Drawer System Smoothly Opens and Enables Hands-Free Close
- Convenient Kitchen Placement Allows for Easier Cooking, Saves Prep and Clean up Time
- Concealed Control Panel Opens to an Easy-to-Read and Operate 45° Angle
Contact us for our kitchen design package