Just like a smart microwave or a smart oven, a smart dishwasher can be connected to your Wi-Fi, and can be controlled by your smartphone. This makes it possible to start your wash cycle from your smartphone, even if you’re not at home. Smart dishwashers are an excellent addition to your smart home design.
Generally speaking, smart dishwashers incorporate features that make this appliance more useful and work better than previous generations. While many of these features are mechanical or functional updates, it’s essential to include them when considering if a smart dishwasher is the best choice for you.
- Bottle jets on the top shelf help thoroughly clean the inside of baby bottles, reusable water bottles, and other tough to clean items.
- A thin third rack holds large, flat items such as platters, baking sheets, or spatulas and cooking utensils.
- Adjustable (or Extra) Racks and Loading Aids. Racks that move up and down and adjustable tines let you reconfigure the interior of the dishwasher. Silverware baskets with individual slots and a third upper rack help you organize the contents but limit how large an item you can place in the second rack.
- Soil Sensor. This adjusts the cycle’s time and water use to the load’s soil level, improving water efficiency.
- Rinse/Hold Cycle. This cycle allows you to rinse dirty dishes when you’re not quite ready to start a full cycle (rather than letting a stubborn food mess get even more stubborn). This perk can reduce odors and prevent food from setting while you stack up enough dirty dishes for a full load.
- Wash Zones. Some models designate a certain part of the dishwasher for heavily soiled items needing a special cycle. These zones don’t necessarily run the whole time—with certain models, it’s for only a few minutes.
- LED lights increase visibility and front-viewing windows let you peek in during the wash cycle.
- High-efficiency filters remove food particles during the wash cycle and, in some models, pass that material through to a built-in food disposal unit.
- High-powered turbojets and re-designed sprayer arms use less water more efficiently to get dishes cleaner while also conserving water and energy.
- Enhanced dish drying capabilities with additional heating elements, fans, and vents dry dishes in a shorter amount of time and use less energy.
- Water recycling reservoirs store filtered water from the rinse cycle for use in the next load’s wash cycle, reducing water consumption by 30% or more.
Along with the improvements in function and efficiency of smart dishwashers listed above, smart dishwashers incorporate new technology that gives you the capabilities you would expect of a smart appliance.
- Wi-Fi connectivity integrates your dishwasher into your connected smart home.
- Start wash cycles anytime from your smartphone, monitor performance, and check cycle status.
- Lock or unlock the dishwasher door from anywhere, particularly useful for child safety.
- Compatible with voice control systems such as Amazon’s Alexa and Google Assistant, allowing you to start a wash cycle, enable various features, and lock or unlock dishwasher door with just your voice.
- Receive alerts on your smartphone when rinse aid or detergent is low, when a wash cycle finishes, or if the sensors detect a malfunction or leak.
- Download new cleaning cycles for special items, such as delicate stemware or heavily soiled pots and pans.
- Sensors automatically detect the size of the load and the amount of grime on dishes to adjust water and energy use to operate efficiently for even small loads.
- Monitor energy use in your area and program itself to automatically activate the wash cycle when local energy consumption is low, running the cycle during off-peak hours to save you money.
- In models with built-in detergent dispensers, you can receive an alert on your phone when detergent is getting low, or you can set it to order more detergent from Amazon automatically.
Plan to replace or renovate your kitchen with more advanced dishwasher models? Here are some of our favorites.
800 Series 18 Inch Smart Built-In Bar Handle Dishwasher with 6 Wash Cycles, Wi-Fi Enabled, 10 Place Settings, ADA Compliant, Energy Star Certified, InfoLight, Standard 3rd Rack, Home Connect, ADA Compliant, RackMatic, AquaStop Plus, Works with Amazon Alexa, PureDry, Delay Start in Stainless Steel
This 18-in. built-in dishwasher from Bosch’s 800 Series can hold up to 10 place settings in one load. The stainless steel exterior matches seamlessly with your kitchen decor, and the stainless steel interior was made to last. The RackMatic® adjustable baskets can be moved into nine different combinations, so you can fit dishes of all shapes and sizes inside, and the standard 3rd rack provides 30% more loading capacity than other Bosch dishwashers. Underneath the 3rd rack, the V-shape creates extra space to fit taller items. Choose from five different wash cycles, and rest assured that the AquaStop Plus® 4-part leak protection will keep water from escaping during each wash cycle. It runs at an impressive 44 dBA, which is so quiet, you’ll barely hear the gentle hum as it washes your dishes. This dishwasher is ADA Compliant, making it easy to reach from the comfort of a wheelchair, and it’s ENERGY STAR® Certified, so you’ll save money each time you wash the dishes. Use your smartphone to control your dishwasher’s functions via the Home Connect™ app. Whether you’re at work or at home, you can start your dishwasher with your smartphone, or delay the start time up to 24 hours in advance.
This 24-in. dishwasher from Dacor’s Contemporary Series can hold up to 14 place settings in one wash cycle. With a sleek graphite stainless steel exterior, this smart dishwasher will look great in your kitchen space. WaterWall™ technology uses a wall of high-powered water to clean every inch inside, and ZoneBooster™technology uses five nozzles to spray hard-to-reach spots on each rack. The additional third rack provides extra space for large utensils, so you can fit even more inside your ENERGY STAR® Certified dishwasher. Use your smartphone to choose from seven wash cycles via the SmartThings app or use the electronic control panel on the dishwasher’s door. It runs at a very quiet 42 dBA, so you won’t even know it’s working. When the cycle is complete, the AutoRelease™ door will open, so steam can escape, leaving your dishes to air dry so they’re ready to be put away.
Shop Dacor DDW24M999US
This 24-in. dishwasher from Samsung has a stainless steel fingerprint-resistant finish, so it’s easy to keep in pristine condition. Load up to 15 place settings in one wash cycle, and your dishwasher will provide Whisper Quiet Cleaning at 39 dBA. The Smart Linear Wash System uses AquaBlast™ jets to reach every spot inside this ENERGY STAR® Certified dishwasher, and Zone Booster™ technology adds an extra water stream to the back corner, in hard to reach spaces. The flexible 3rd rack adds extra space for silverware and large utensils, and the Express60 cycle makes it easy to have your dishes clean in under an hour. When the cycle is complete, the AutoRelease™ door will open so your dishes can air dry.
This NSF Certified dishwasher has a Sanitize cycle that removes up to 99.99% of common household bacteria, so you can be confident your dishes are perfectly clean. Conveniently control your dishwasher from your smartphone, no matter whether you’re at home or away.
Click here for 5 Benefits of French Door Refrigerators
Click here for Colorful And Fashionable Kitchen Appliances That Will Add Personality And Cheer You Up