One of the trends in home furnishing industry in 2020 has continued going strong is acrylic furnishings. They are just like glass, crystal clear, light and airy, injecting a very chic, versatility vibes to any room without adding too much visual weight. If you are looking forward to update your home this summer in a clean, modern and glamorous fashion, do consider acrylic furnishings–it can be a bench next to your king bed, a coffee table in your living room, a desk or chair in your study, a chandelier or a tray, etc… We feel excited every time when we incorporate acrylic pieces to our design projects.
So what exactly is acrylic material? Acrylic material is often referred to as Acrylic glass but it does not contain silicates like more common glass products. Acrylic is a chemical polymer and we often refer to it by the brand names: Lucite ( DuPont ) and Plexiglas (Rohm and Haas). The more clear and polished they look, the better quality they are. Polishing is the key process which enhances clarity and luster. Most large pieces and structural furniture components will be polished on a wheel by hand while smaller items may be flame polished. Now you know that hand-polishing always has the finest result. The material was developed in 1928 in several different laboratories by many chemists, such as William Chalmers, Otto Röhm, and Walter Bauer, and was first brought to market in 1933 by German Röhm & Haas AG (as of January 2019 part of Evonik Industries) and its partner and former U.S. affiliate Rohm and Haas Company under the trademark Plexiglas. The earlier application of acrylic material was in aviation. The acrylic bubble canopy was used on aircraft such as the Supermarine Spitfire and Westland Whirlwind, which gave better all-round visibility and reduced weight. We now know how durable acrylic material is!
There are 9 benefits of acrylic furnishings:
- Acrylic has been classified as non-hazardous under OSHA regulations since it doesn’t outgas or release toxins when used as directed:—-Don’t expose to flame and don’t expos to acids.
- It is very durable and has much higher impact strength than glass. Under high impact, it will not shatter and if it does break, it fractures into large, dull-edged pieces .
- Acrylic can be used over a broad temperature range and has superior weather resistance compared to glass and other forms of plastic.
- Acrylic can be formed in a number of ways and create all shapes of beautiful design.
- Acrylic is lightweight and approximately half of the weight of glass.
- Acrylic takes little or no visual weight of any spaces.
- Acrylic furnishings will help update your home with a modern and sleek look.
- Acrylic furnishings will not inhibit lighting and this allows more daylight in the home and help promote wellness at home.
- Acrylic will help showcase other design elements in the space such as pops of color, patterns, textures.
Care of Acrylic Furnishings?
Direct sunlight in a climate controlled environment will not discolor high quality acrylic. But it is always recommended to consult manufacturers recommendations for performance.
—Carefully dust surface with a fine duster
—-Use a clean soft cloth dampened with water
—Do not use the same cloth for other surfaces
—Avoid glass cleaners and solvents. Use ammonia free cleaner all the time.
Scratch prevention and restoration
—-Use anti-scratch pads on objects placed directly on acrylic surface.
— Novus 1/2/3 is highly effect product to get rid of scratches.
Shop Quality Acrylic Furnishings We Handpicked for You(Click Each Image for Details)