Hi, guys, I hope your new week started with a positive tune. As usual, I love to share some rooms that I came across over the weekend. The reason I share them here is not only because they are beautiful but also they are quite unique with full of good ideas and personality. Often, the rooms that touch our hearts are not the rooms that are highly polished, but rather approachable yet with some surprises.
We like to take a casual walk at a neighborhood coastal resort after a long run on Sundays. the late afternoon glow, the Mediterranean architecture details, french cafe, rose gardens, the sea not that far and the sunset…etc. are just like a dream to me. Wouldn’t be nice to take a little get-away over the weekend to recharge once a while?
In case, you would like to incorporate some aged Mediterranean pieces for your interiors, here are some of my picks:
Couple of weeks ago, we went to visit Louis Vuitton X pop-up exhibition in Beverly Hills. It is about an immersive journey through the House’s 160-year history of creative exchanges and artistic collaborations. Discover over 180 items from Louis Vuitton’s archives. Well, it is a quite a show and very interesting to see how they put up a fashionable color-palette , showcase their production process, iconic designs over the years and artworks. Please join me for a short tour.
The favorite part for me is actually the patio lounge area. And when we got there, there were not many people. So I can really checked out all of the details.
First of all, I love how they use pink on the floorings and chairs—-such a cheerful color that light up everybody’s mood immediately.
And different shades and patterns of yellow and white on pillows give eye a rest and also create resort-like casual atmosphere.
Now you get some ideas to style your patio party with some dramas.
I have designed some modern interiors for my recent projects. People love SoCal’s airy vibes filled with natural lights. Meanwhile, they also would like to incorporate textures, geometric artworks, patterns, pops of color and earthy tones to create an inviting and warm atmosphere. For this San Gabriel modern home project we did, we add a smoke glass chandelier with a brass stem, several sky blue-pink -background geometric artworks, a grey velvet pouf, an oversized blush tufted square ottoman to bring a healthy dose of warmth , interest and depth to the space while we e keep the original motif-patterned Moroccan rug and brown leather swivel chair. Also, two elegant silver-leafed side tables we placed by the mid-century low-back sectional elevate the space with sophistication and luxury. So the end result is airy, light yet warm, modern, clean yet glamorous.
In case you are interested in the designer sider table we used for the project, now it is on our Labor Day promo and here are the details for the piece:
With double the style and twice the glamour, what’s not to love about this charming end table? Its metal frame features a Lightly Brushed Chrome finish while its signature circular top and bottom shelf are finished in Soft Silver Leaf. Thoughtfully designed, both shelves offer an integrated storage drawer for functionality and with it’s small profile, this cute number can fit just about anywhere.
Metal frame in Lightly Brushed Chrome. Top and bottom shelfs in Soft Silver Leaf. One drawer in top and bottom shelves. Drawer interiors in Soft Silver Paint.
Top shelf: 16″W x 17.5″D Bottom shelf: 18.5″W x 24.5″D Space between shelves: 9.250″
So often, lighting bulbs are what we often ignore. I am wondering if this is mainly because the lighting fixtures always come without bulbs. What really frustrates me sometime is that vendors couldn’t provide a complete specs sheet specially for LED bulbs. Meanwhile, consumers don’t really think that these light bulbs are that important. But in reality, they are. Just think about it, by just flipping a switch, your mood changes immediately. Also, with LED starting to dominate the market , it is a little bit complicated to choose right LED bulbs than the traditional lighting bulbs in terms of color temperatures, dimmability and compatible dimmer options. Today, I am going to share 5 tips to choose right light bulbs.
1. Focus on fixtures and function
Number 1 rule is to always make sure the shape and base of the bulb fits into your fixtures. Also understand the purpose of lights: general /ambient lighting, task lighting, accent lighting, entertains lighting …etc.
2. Understand two terminologies: watts and lumens
Every package has codes on it for the amount of lumens and watts the bulb emits. Lumens are the amount of light emitted from a bulb. The more lumens, the brighter the light. Watts are the amount of energy a bulb uses. In general, the lower the watts, the less energy used.
3. Invest in LEDs
Although I mentioned at the very beginning that choosing right LED bulbs can be little bit complicated than traditional lighting bulbs but LEDS are 70 to 90 percent more efficient than traditional light bulb technologies and last more than a decade. It can be a few dollars a piece, and you can end up saving $80 or more over the life of each bulb in energy costs versus a comparable incandescent. As designer, what important to me is the great design flexibility provided by LED lighting such as indirect lighting, sculpture lighting , back-lit etc.
4. A simple guide to specify a good LED lighting for residential application
a. Soft white—(2,700k -3,000k)
b. CRI > 90. As a rule, a CRI of 90 or more is considered high and anything below 80 is considered mid-range to low. You can click here to read more
c. Dimmer-ability without flick.
5. Think smart lighting. If you have different layers of lighting and more than 5 lighting fixtures in your home, wouldn’t be nice you can just turn on lights without extra hardwares with an ease. Smart lighting bulbs have a sensor on them and usually require a hub setup. I will talk about this more in a separate blog.
If you are like me and have some hard time to find good chanderlier bulbs, here are my recommendations:
In case you want to get to know a little bit about smart lighting system, here is Lutron’s Caseta bridge system.
Here are some led chandeliers you may be interested in:
Today we have so many upholstery fabric choices for our furniture. And often, it is a piece of leather furniture that stays timeless, ages beautifully and tell the story of the home. But of course, we are not talking about those bulky grandma’s leather couches. leather upholstery may look its best in a club sofa, or on a very unique occasional chair.
Without question, a piece of good quality leather furniture can instantly enhance your home.
Just in case you are in a process of looking for quality leather upholstery, here are 6 tips you may find helpful for you to make a decision.
Types of leather: Top-grain and full-grain leathers are the highest quality; they’re made from the outermost layer of the hide, which is the strongest part. Top-grain leather is smoothed to remove imperfections, while full-grain is not smoothed and features a natural grain with imperfections.
Split leather. Split leather is the term used for the lower layer of leather left after the top or full grain is removed. (Suede is split leather.) This product is still genuine leather, but it’s not as strong as top-grain or full-grain leather and may tear or stretch.
2. Finished leathers are practical for active households with children and pets. Finished leathers are more resistant to fading and discoloration when exposed to light, heat, moisture, dust and body oils. These types of leathers also offer the most overall color consistency. Compared to other leather types, finished leathers generally require much lower maintenance, as spills and stains should clean easily unless they penetrate the surface coating of the leather.
3. Aniline-plus leathers are quite simply Aniline leathers plus a slight protective coating. This protective coating may include light pigmentation and/or a clear top coat. Offering similar feels to those of aniline leathers with the added benefit of a protective coating, these leathers are more child and pet friendly than their Aniline counterparts. They may, however, still fade or discolor when exposed to sunlight and temperature extremes.
4. Aniline. Pure-aniline or full-aniline leathers show the natural surface of the leather, imperfections and all. They do not have any additional pigments or protectants on the surface, so you’ll probably see variations in color. Because there’s no protective coating, this type of leather has the softest feel. But it’s also more susceptible to scratching, staining and fading.
5 Semi-aniline. Semi-anline or aniline plus pigments have a protective topcoat. There may also be additional pigments added on the surface of the leather, giving the piece a more uniform look. This type of leather is more durable than pure aniline, but not as soft.
6. Nubuck. Nubuck leather is made by buffing or sanding aniline leather. The result is a leather that has a soft, velvety feel and suede-like appearance. It’s stronger than suede (which, remember, is made from split leather), but it’s susceptible to fading and stains and will develop a patina over time. If you can embrace imperfections, this is the softest leather option.
From the beginning of 2019, we have been constantly studying the decor trends by going to all sorts of trade events. It is true that you should always choose what speaks to you. However by understanding what’s going on in the market, you can always find some better ways to express yourself. Since spring is here, it is a perfect time to fresh up your home. Here are 4 trends we have observed so far and love to share them here in our blog. Hope you find them useful for your projects.
A touch of oriental decor, it doesn’t matter it is a vase, a fabric print, a painting, always adds a touch of whimsical to any space. Just remember, a little bit is just enough. after all, you are not an antique store.
2. Remember it is still the year of pig.
A small piggy sculpture, or a jar always adds an interest to any space and they will always remind you that —it is a year of prosperity and keep you positive.
3. Modern classic.
Yes, we still love minimalism but in a different way. We like clean-lines but with curved forms and a lot of classic details. Yes, we are in love with modern decor with sophistication.
4. A touch of vintage.
We hope you enjoy the above information and if you plan a make-over and need some help, you are welcome to contact us.
Spring is here. The warmer weather and blooms magically put everyone in a very cheerful mood. So, we took the opportunity and wander around LA street to immerse ourselves in the season and get inspired.